Thursday, January 14, 2010

Giving credit to airline credit cards

By Susan Glaser, The Plain Dealer

In case you missed it recently, Continental Airlines increased by $10 the fee for checking a bag on any flight purchased after Jan. 8.
The new fees are $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second, bringing Continental to the top of the heap -- tied with Delta and US Airways -- in the amount charged for checked bags. (If you pay online, you can save a bit -- $23 for the first bag and $32 for the second.)

What this means for air travelers: more people schlepping more stuff into the main cabin.
There is a better way. Elite frequent fliers don't have to pay the fees, and neither do holders of Continental Airlines Chase credit and debit cards.
I nearly got rid of my Continental Visa card years ago, annoyed by the $65 annual fee. I'm glad I kept it -- it saved me $80 when I flew to Florida for a cruise last month, and it'll save me $100 when I travel to the Sunshine State in March to visit my parents.
In theory, I believe in packing light. In reality, a family of four cannot travel for a week using only carry-on bags (and if we could, you wouldn't want to get stuck behind us during boarding as we attempted to smash our bags into the overhead bins).
I am no fan of the credit-card industry, but this card has paid for itself in more ways than one. It'll stay in my wallet until the airlines say my suitcase flies free.
-- Susan Glaser

No comments:

Post a Comment